T-rex footprint (those are purple water shoes, he picked them out!)
Quetzalcoatlus - this one is not actually a dinosaur, I forget why though. It was the first one on the dinosaur trail.
The exhibit was called "Dinosaurs, Dead or Alive?" and had this display at the end of the trail, live chickens! I guess they are a close decendant of dinosaurs.
They also had a spot to dig for dinosaur bones.
And here is the lapbook we did:
This is the cover, I wanted Levi to color these, but he didn't feel like it!
- what all reptiles have in common
- definition of dinosaur
- a favorite dino fact
- carnivore/omnivore/herbavore flap book (inside is pictures of what they each eat)
- wheel has different theories about why dinosaurs are extinct.
- pocket with different dinos
- definition of extinct
- definition of palentologist
- pattern practice
The brochure is from the zoo exhibit.
I buried dog bones in the sand pile, and had him dig for them. Berkshire (our dog) helped, and then ate them!
I chose to do this unit study because of the exhibit, but I really think that Levi gets more out of the experience when we study something he is actually interested in. It was still fun though!