Monday, December 3, 2012

Elf on the Shelf and Advents



I've been gone from blogging for a while!  Its been so busy with Halloween, Thanksgiving, and a Disney cruise (more on that later), and its just going to get even more busy with Christmas and a trip to Tahoe.   We just got out the decorations, and I've been doing a little sewing.  

First is a felt advent calender I made for a customer.   It has felt pockets with numbers on them, and a tree with button on it.   In each pocket is an ornament, and every day you take one out and hang it on one of the buttons!   The last one is a star for the top of the tree.  It was time-consuming to make with all the little ornaments, but I like how they turned out.  I might have to make a few more for myself!  






 

I've been seeing tones of cute "elf on the shelf" ideas on pintrest.  I've never read the actual book, but I have heard about it.  To be honest, the idea of an elf "watching you" and reporting back to Santa is a little creepy.   I don't like the whole "bad or good" aspect of Santa, because I don't believe that kids are actually "bad", they all have their moments though!   But that being said, it looked too much fun to pass up, so I made Levi an elf.      I found a great pattern and tutorial on Jane of All Crafts blog, its a lot of little bits to sew, but came out really cute.   I also added wire to the arms and legs for a more pose-able elf. 

I'm modifying the story, all I told him is that he should leave his elf under his tree and see what happens.   So just before bed he put out his elf.   He also gave him (her?) a name, Sprinkles!   She didn't have a face yet when he went to bed.



And in the morning, he will find Sprinkles on top of the mantle, replacing the stockings with new underwear and boxers for Levi. 


 








3 comments:

  1. Way less creepy elf on a shelf! I don't like the story behind the elf on the shelf either. Also, very cute idea for an advent calender.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your 6 in the 16 on the advent calendar is upside down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't attached yet in the picture, I caught it before I attached, but thank you! :)

      Delete