Raw Vegan Apple Pie
1 cup of dates (pitted and chopped)
1 cup of nuts (walnuts or almonds)
5 apples (choose ones you like to eat!)
Bit of lemon juice (about 1 TBS)
1/2 cup dates
cinnamon (to taste)
3 tsp chia seeds (optional, but holds everything together better)
- Soak dates in some warm water for about 15min, then drain.
- Meanwhile, put the nuts in a food processor (I use my ninja) and pulse until very finely chopped. Remove and set aside.
- Pulse the dates until finely chopped, then throw in the nuts and pulse some more to combine.
- This should hold together when you smush it - press into a pie pan.
- Peel the apples. Chop up 2 of the apples and put in the food processor with the 1/2 cup dates, lemon juice and spices. Pulse and blend until it looks like apple sauce. Throw in the chia seeds and pulse a bit more to combine.
- Chop the other 3 apples (peel if you want) into small pieces. Stir into the apple mixture.
- Put the filling on the crust and sprinkle on some more cinnamon if you want.
Thats it! Pretty easy to make and healthier than most pies.
The "sauce" makes it look like a cooked pie
Levi approves, he wanted to taste it when I was taking pictures but I made him wait until after dinner.